Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Beastly

I met a boy once
who had thick lines of scars
etched across his face,
each one telling its own story to me
as I stared into them.
At first my weak eyes could not see,
but as I went deeper into those lines,
I could see that the reason for their thickness
lay behind short personal narratives
of indiscretions and consequences;
lies and betrayals;
regrets and mistakes.
And as I stared deeper
into these lines that bled such tales,
Fear slithered across my neck
and whispered into my ears,
Stay away from broken people.
But I couldn’t,
because looking at them
was like staring into my own face.
And so my eyes ran over his face,
tearing these lines apart
so that I could find him.
I suddenly could feel his soft flesh
as if my fingertips were
lying against it.
Then I found his eyes,
feathered and what seemed to be half-closed
and smiling
and I could really see him.
My vision faded out
and the scars
along with their stories
took their positions on his face again.
But I was blinded forever.
I met a man once
who had thick lines of scars
etched across his face,
each one telling its own story to me
as I stared into them.
And he was the
most beautiful person
I had ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment