Saturday, April 12, 2014

Bad Religion

Now I lay me down to sleep
I prayed to you my heart to keep
and to love me assiduously
in the way that required no boundaries.

Bounded heart and soul to your every word
I thought you granted peace and serenity in my world
but only really left it in turmoil
plagued by false hope and no promise land.

That which we swaddled in cherry blossoms in our hands
is now crucified against a wooded stand.
And your refusal to resurrect it
only makes me question your purpose and existence.
You told me you were God
and I almost believed it.

How could you be so deceiving?
I bit into the apple you handed to me
and was instantly infatuated by your being.
As much as I questioned it,
you convinced me that this was what I needed.
I ended up drowning in a sea of sorrow 
wondering if tomorrow you will finally be true
to what you originally set out to do.

I've simply lost my faith in you.

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake,
I wish it weren't you that became my fate.

2 comments: