Thursday, April 2, 2015

Resistance to the Strong Black Woman Mantra

From birth we are nurtured to never show signs of weakness
because America was built on our fore-mothers' backs
and they did not break.
They bore children to a man that was never theirs
Had to lie on their backs
and brace themselves against the abuse 
that was thrust through her body.
She hurt but she did not cry.
We are told to never let a man violate
that which is most sacred
and to never believe what he appears to be.
Little girl, they say, you don't know what love is
You have all the time in the world for all of that.
What got me was that if I got my little heart broken
I better not show him that he hurt me.
Let no straw break your back.

But I loved someone whom at one point loved me too.
Let me cry a little.



No comments:

Post a Comment