Thursday, April 16, 2015

Yes, I want to be a writer; why is that a problem?

Hi, Readers,

I know I've been slacking; these last few weeks of the semester are crunch time, so I'm focused on getting these grades right and start my new journey at Rutgers University next fall (yay!). In the last few weeks, more than usual I've been asked what it is exactly I want to do with my life. My answer is usually, "I'm only a sophomore. I have enough time to figure all of that out." That's the safe answer. What I really want to say is: I'm working towards being a really famous writer someday. I don't say it often because I get weird looks and the "Oh, well you know they don't make a lot of money." *Rolls eyes* Or they'll ask about my major and say (very condescendingly), "Oh, you want to be a teacher? They don't make a lot of money. Being a teacher is not easy." *Rolls eyes again* 

I always knew I didn't want some boring desk job answering phones, staring at a computer all day, going to boring meetings. I wanted to do something that I had complete control over. With the help of my 10th grade English teacher, I realized that one, I was pretty damn good at writing poetry, and two, that this was something I could do. How I was going to get to that point was a different story, but that was what I was focused on. Every year since then my writing has improved drastically. I get better and better every time I write a new piece. I read other poets' beautifully written work, and I think, Jada, this could be you someday

Being an artist is not easy, whether it's a writer, an actor, a painter, etc. I'm very well aware of that. But why would I not do something I love for the rest of my life? You hear about these CEOs who leave their jobs, making crazy money, to go live a simpler life? Because they're happier that way. To some people, money is everything. They want to live that lavish lifestyle. I'm not into that. As long as I have enough for food and a roof over my head, why am I complaining? God always makes a way.

So please, do not talk to me about doing something else or finding something else. I will not listen to you, you will be wasting your time, and it's only going to piss me off and prove you wrong even more. Either be on my side and help me on my journey or get out of my way and watch me succeed. People are going to know my name. They are going to read my books in school, for leisure. I'm going to touch people with my words.

Why can't you see that it is a beautiful thing to be able to create images and stories with words? It's amazing. I feel sorry for you for looking down on people who can do that. 

Don't let people tell you that you shouldn't do something because it doesn't seem practical. Do it anyway to prove to them that you could but also more so for yourself, that you can do it. 

XOXO,
Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment