Saturday, June 14, 2014

Not A Man

Part I:
"I am a man," he said.
I scoffed. Really?
I didn't know a man played games, trying to get all that he can get
so that in the end he wins
I didn't know one of the languages he did not speak was honesty
I didn't know he hid his emotions because his boys say he's a bitch if he shows them
That he's too young
He just wants to play because he'll have enough time for all the grown folk stuff later
He just wants to have fun
Why settle on one ice cream flavor when there are so many more you haven't even tried yet?


Part II:
You thought you were a man.

You run from breast to breast, feining for a taste
I thought your mother weened you off of that shit
You slither through a bed of weeds with your smooth talk 
telling them the same sweet things in three different languages
making them all fall in love with you
And what happens when you finally come across a rose?
She's too much to handle
because she requires too much grown folk stuff
so you find your way out
Oh but make sure to tell the next one to take good care of her
because she's beautiful and she deserves it.
Bullshit.
That, my dear, is not a man.
That, sir, is a little ass boy.

You wanna be called a man?
Then stand in your truth
and admit when you've done wrong
And simply just do what's right.

And then maybe,
just maybe,
you can be a man.

No comments:

Post a Comment